TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN PATNA

Patna the capital city of Bihar was once the capital of the mighty empire of the Mauryans. The legacy of a glorious past has left an indelible mark on the city.

Kumhrar
Ashoka Ashoka Ashoka

Kumhrar or Kumrahar is the remains of an ancient city of Pataliputra, located 5 km from Patna Railway Station, on Kankarbagh Road, Patna, Bihar.

The archaeological remains of the Mauryan period (322–185 BCE), has been discovered here, this include the ruins of a hypostyle 80-pillared hall The excavation finding here dates back to 600 B.C, and marks the ancient capital of Ajatshatru, Chandragupta and Ashoka, and collectively the relics range from four continuous periods from 600 BC to 600 AD

Assembly Hall of 80-pillars: During the excavation work, carried out, 1912 -1915, by D B Spooner, one pillar of polished stone, and a very large number of fragments were found. The excavators were able to trace 72 'pits' of ash and rublle on the site which marked the position in which other pillars must once have stood. During the subsequent excavation, done by K P Jaiswal, 1951-1955, eight more such pits were found, giving the hall its present name – “Assembly hall of 80 pillars”. All the ruins are attributed to the Mauryan period, though historians vary regarding the use of the 80-pillar hall, some suggest that it was in this hall that Third Buddhist Council was held, in 250 BCE, at Asokarama in Patiliputta (Patliputra), under the reign of Mauryan Empereor, Ashoka (273 BC- 232 BC).

Anand Bihar: The foundations of the brick Buddhist monastery were excavated, apart from wooden beams and clay figures, which are now kept for public display in the surrounding park.

Arogya Vihar: Also found during the excavations, are the presence of an Arogya Vihar headed by Dhanvantari, an early Indian medical practitioner, considered the source of Ayurveda.

Agam Kuan
Ashoka Ashoka

Agam Kuan, which means "unfathomable well", is said to date back to the period of Maurya emperor, Ashoka. The well is located east of Patna, Bihar state, India.

Agam Kuan is 105' deep, circular in plan, with a diameter extending over 20'2". The well is brick-encased in the upper half of its depth (down to 44') and thereafter, secured by a series of wooden rings. The surface structure, which now covers the well and forms its most distinctive feature, has eight arched windows.

Next to the Agam Kuan lies the Shitala Devi temple, dedicated to Shitala Devi, which houses the pindas of the 'Saptamatrikas' (the seven mother goddesses). The temple is widely revered for its potency in curing smallpox and chicken pox, as with all Shitala Devi temples, and is also visited by devotees for wish fulfillment. The site also has several ancient and medieval sculptures, out of these at least one as reported by A. Cunningham, who visited the site, 1879-80, was of the Yaksha of the Mauryan art-affiliation [3], though the whereabouts of this sculpture are not known now.

During the 1890s, the British explorer, Laurence Waddell, while exploring the ruins of Patliputra, identified Agam Kuan as the legendary well built by Ashoka for torturing people, a practice reported by Chinese travellers (most probably Fa Hien) of the 5th and 7th centuries A.D. Another popular legend states that this was the well where Ashoka threw ninety-nine of his elder brothers after killing them to obtain the throne of the Mauryan Empire. The site is also connected with several Jain legends, the most famous of them being that of a Jain monk Sudarshana who, when thrown into the well by a king named Chand, floated to the surface and was found seated on a lotus. The well's is still considered auspicious and a site for many religious ceremonies, especially Hindu weddings

Mahavir Mandir
Patna_Hanuman Mandir Patna_Hanuman Mandir

Mahavir Mandir is one of the holiest Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Hanuman, located in Patna, Bihar, India. Million of pilgrims visit the temple every year and is the second most visited religious shrine in North India.

The Mahavir Mandir Trusts have the second highest budget in North India after the famous Maa Vaishno Devi shrine. The earning of Mahavir Mandir has gone now up to an average of Rs 1 lakh per day. It is situated right in front of Patna Junction, station of the City.

The first establishment date of temple is still unknown so the creator. This temple gained popularity in 1947 with large number of Hindu refugees coming to Patna after the partition of India and subsequently temple was rebuilt as a concrete house at same time. Even this was broken down in 1987 to make a huge marble temple. The idol of Sankat-Mochan stands in it.

Long winding queues can be seen at the temple on Saturdays and Tuesdays, the traditional worshiping days of Lord Hanuman. Thousands of people visit Mahavir Mandir on every Ram Navami and New Year celebration. On every Ram Navami waiting queues grow up to some kilometer long.

Mahavir Mandir Trusts is named as Shri Mahavir Sthan Nyas Samiti and monitors working & development of temple.The Trusts also runs number of human welfare organization like Mahavir Cancer Sansthan, patna, Mahavir Vaatsalya Hospital and Mahavir Arogya Hospitaland several hospitals and orphanage in the Bihar. Trust has submitted its 2008-09 budget, which is of Rs 35.13 crore.

Takht Sri Patna Sahib

Takht Sri Darbar Sahib Patna Sahib, one of the Five Takhts of the Sikhs, the Temporal Authorities of Sikhism. The Gurdwara at Patna Sahib is in remembrance of the birth place of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs. Like many historical Gurdwara's in India and Pakistan, this Gurdwara was built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Sher Shah Suri Masjid

Sher Shah Suri Masjid, mosque, Patna,also known as Shershahi, is an example of the Afghan style of architecture.[1]Sher Shah Suri built this mosque in 1540-1545 to commemorate his reign.It is sited in the south-west corner of Purab Darwaza near Dhawalpura.

Built in Afghani architectural style, it is one of the many historic mosques in India and a landmark in Patna. There is a tomb inside the complex of the mosque which is covered by an octagonal stone slab. But the star attraction of the Sher Shah Suri Masjid is its central dome which lies in the middle of the roof and is surrounded by Four small domes. The unique part of thist design is that if you view from any angle there appears to be only three domes.

Pathar Ki Masjid

The Pathar Ki Masjid stands on the bank of river Ganga near the Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb. Parvez Shah, son of Jahangir established Pathar Ki Masjid in 1621. The structure is built of stone, and so it got its name as Pathar Ki Masjid.

Pathar Ki Masjid is also very popular among the local Islamic community. Apart from religious functions, this old mosque also serves the purpose being a major landmark of the city. Pathar Ki Masjid is also called Saif Khan's mosque Chimmi Ghat mosque, and Sangi Masjid.

Padri Ki Haveli

Padri-Ki-Haveli ("Mansion of Padre"), also known as St Mary's Church, it is the oldest church in Bihar. When Roman Catholics were arrived in Bihar, they built a small church in 1713 at a place now known as Padri-ki-Haveli.

The current church was re-designed by a Venetian architect Tirreto in 1772. He came from Kolkata to design this church. The foundation stone of this huge church has a dimension of 70 feet in length, 40 feet wide and 50 feet in height.

Nawab Mir Qasim destroyed this church because of the quarrel with the British traders on June 25, 1763. Ancient records were destroyed and burnt consequently. Later, in 1857 during the Great Indian Rebellion again this church suffered with many damages.

Today, the monument stands as an architectural wonder with intricate details which can be seen in few other churches of India.

The main attraction of the church is the large cathedral bell. Mother Teresa got her training in this church only

Golghar
Patna

The Golghar("Round house"), located to the west of the Gandhi Maidan in Patna, capital of Bihar state, India is a granary built by Captain John Garstin, in 1786.

After the devastating famine of 1770, which killed nearly 10 million people in regions of Bengal, Bihar and modern day Bangladesh, Warren Hastings, then Governor-General of India, ordered the construction of this beehive shaped structure for the purpose of storing grains for the British Army . It was conceived and built by Captain John Garstin, an engineer with the East India Company, and has a storage capacity of 140000 tons, it construction was completed on 20 July 1786. A beautification drive of the structure was set in 2002.

Built in the native Stupa architecture, the building has a foundation of 125m, and a height of 29 m. It is pillarless with a wall of thickness of 3.6 m at the base. One can climb atop the Golghar through the 145 steps of its spiral stairway around the monument. The spiral staircase was designed so as to facilitate the passage of the coolies, who had to carry grain-bags up one flight, deliver their load through a hole at the top, and descend the other stairs.

The top of the Golghar presents a wonderful panoramic view of the city and the Ganga flowing nearby. At time of its construction, it was the tallest building in Patna.

One interesting fact about the Golghar is that never in its existence has it been filled to its maximum capacity and there are no plans in future as well. The reason for this is that due to oversight while designing and construction of the Golghar, the doors were designed to open inside. Thus, if it is filled to its maximum capacity, then the doors will not open.

Kargil Chowk
Patna

Kargil Chowk is a War memorial. It was established in year 2000, near by Gandhi Maidan, Patna. It is dedicated to the soldiers from Bihar & Jharkhand who had sacrificed their lives in the Pakistani infiltration in 1999.

>>>List engraved names on Kargil Chowk

  • Major Chandrabhushan Divedi
  • General Digambar Dixit, Palamu
  • General Prabhakar Kumar Singh, Bhagalpur
  • Nayak Ganesh Prasad Yadav, Patna
  • Lance Naik Rambachan Rai, Vaishali [disambiguation needed]
  • Lance Naik Vidyanand Singh, Bhojpur [disambiguation needed]
  • Naik Bishuni Rai, Saran [disambiguation needed]
  • Naik Subedar Nageshwar Mahato, Ranchi
  • Naik Neeraj Kumar, Lakhisarai
  • Naik Sunil Kumar Singh, Muzaffarpur
  • Havaldar Ratan Kumar Singh, Bhagalpur
  • Sepoy Hardeo Prasad Singh, Nalanda
  • Sepoy Rambhu Singh, Siwan [disambiguation needed]
  • Sepoy Arvind Kumar Pandey, Poorvi Champaran
  • Sepoy Pramod Kumar, Poorvi Champaran
  • Sepoy Arvind Kumar Pandey, Poorvi Champaran
  • Sepoy Raman Kumar Jha, Saharanpur
  • Sepoy Harikrishna Ram, Sivan

Martyr's Memorial ( Satmurti )
Patna

The Martyr's Memorial is a life-size statue of seven brave young men who sacrificed their lives in the Quit India movement(August 1942), to hoist the national flag. The foundation stone of Martyr's Memorial was laid on August 15, 1947, by the governor of Bihar, Mr. Jairam Das Daulatram. The sculptor Mr. Deviprasad Roychoudhry built the bronze statue of the seven students with the national flag. These statues were cast in Italy and later placed here. Martyr's Memorial is situated outside the Secretariat building in Patna.

>>>List engraved names on Martyr's Memorial

  • Umakant Prasad Sinha - Ram Mohan Roy Seminary,class IX.
  • Ramanand Singh - Ram Mohan Roy Seminary, class IX.
  • Satish Prasad Jha - Patna Collegiate School, class X.
  • Jagatpati Kumar - Bihar National College, 2nd year.
  • Devipada Choudhry - Miller High English School, class IX.
  • Rajendra Singh - Patna High English School, matric class.
  • Ramgovind Singh - Punpun High English School, matric class IX.

Patna Museum
Patna

Patna Museum is the state museum of Bihar. It was built by the British during the British Raj in the year 1917 to house the historical artefacts found in the vicinity of Patna. It is built in the style of Mughal and Rajput architecture. It is called the Jadu Ghar by locals.

It is a multi-purpose museum. The items on display include archaeological objects, coins, art objects, paintings, instruments, textiles, paintings, thankas, bronze images and sculptures and terracotta images of Hindu and Buddhist artists.It has a rare collection of paintings of British period depicting day to day life and a fine collection related to the first President of India, Dr Rajendra Prasad.

The fossil of a tree said to be more than 200 million years old is on display at the museum. Also on display is a casket unearthed in 1958 by archaeologist A. S. Altekar at the Relic Stupa of Vaishali, which is said to contain the sacred ashes (relics) of the Buddha.Didarganj Yakshi is the most prized collection of this museum.

From November 2009, a new project has been started to build a new museum in Patna, so that more 15-20 thousands collections could be displayed. It will replace this museum as a state museum.

Patna Planetarium

Indira Gandhi Planetarium located in patna's Indira Gandhi Science Complex. Planetarium was constructed through Bihar Council on Science & Technology at a total cost of about Rs. 11 Crores.It was conceptualised in 1989 by Bihar CM Shree Satyendra Narain Sinha and was inaugurated by Shree Laloo Prasad, the then Chief Minister of Bihar, on March 21, 1993. The Planetarium was dedicated to the Nation and opened for the public from 1 April, 1993. The Patna Planetarium is one of the largest planetariums in Asia.It attracts a large number of domestic as well as foreign tourists. The planetarium has regular film shows on subjects related to astronomy. It also holds exhibitions, which attracts lots of visitors. Patna Planetarium is located on Bailey Road near Income Tax Golambar in Patna within a distance of 8 km from Patna Airport, 1 1/2 km from Patna Railway station, 2 km from Government Bus stand, and 10 km from Private Bus stand.

Srikrishna Science Centre

Science Museum "Srikrishna Science Centre" was established in Patna in the year 1978 which was named fter the first Chief Minister of Bihar (Dr. Sri Krishna Singh). This institution forms a unit of the National Council of Science Museums, an autonoums body under the ministry of Culture. It is located at south-western corner of the Gandhi Maidan. The Science Centre has been set up with all round objectives for the benefit of the public, especially the students of Schools and Colleges

At present the Centre has four permanent galleries, Fun Science, Evolution, Mirrors and Oceans and a Science Park. The most popular gallery is Fun Science gallery, which has around 50 hands-on interactive exhibits explaining different principles of physics and mathematics. One gallery, popular science is under renovation.

Maner Sharif
Patna

Maner Sharif is located 25 kilometres (16 mi) west of Patna on NH 30. It is the popular medieval site in Bihar. Maner enjoys position of one of the chief spiritual centers in India. Maner Sharif houses two very popular Muslim tombs: One of Makhdoom Yahya Maneri known as the Bari Dargah. Onother of Shah Daulat or Makhdum Daulat, popularly called Chhoti Dargah.

Maner Sharif is the place where Makhdum Daulat in 1608 breathed his last. It was then in 1616 that Ibrahim Khan, Governor of Bihar who was also his disciple finished the construction of his mausoleum.